SAFE GAS SERVICES
Earthquake Valve Installation
Earthquake Valve Installation
Required by law in buildings in some municipalities, an Earthquake Shutoff Valve protects your home, property and loved ones from harm in the event of an earthquake of magnitude 5.2 or higher. If you are building a new home or renovation you property in excess of 10,000 OR are selling a home. The shut off valve is installed between the gas meter and building, preventing fires or explosions due to gas leaks in the event of an earthquake. Safe Gas Services provides complete installation and retrofitting services for residential, commercial and industrial structures.
What is an “Earthquake Shutoff Valve”?
Why are earthquake valves important?
When is an Earthquake valve required?
Where is the shut off valve exactly?
Safe Gas Services provides complete installation and retrofitting services for residential, commercial and industrial structures throughout the greater Los Angeles area to ensure that your property meets city and state regulations and to keep you safe.
How Does an Earthquake Valve Work?
Installed on your gas meter where it connects to your gas pipes, the seismic valve prevents a gas leak or explosion in the event of a seismic event. Pressure is sensed under the diaphragm by the impulse line. When the pressure increases, the diaphragm lifts and pushes a spring up. When the spring hits a certain point, the latch mechanism of the valve releases, which closes the gas line effectively shutting off the gas supply.
Why You Need an Earthquake Shutoff Valve
- Protect your home and loved ones: a gas leak or an explosion can cause damage to your home and threaten the safety of those inside. Installing an earthquake shutoff valve is the most effective way to eliminate this threat.
- Eliminates human error: in the event of an earthquake or other emergency, you may not remember to manually shut off your gas. Additionally, you may not be able to shut off your gas safely. An earthquake valve eliminates these problems and protects you from the potential for human error.
- Saves money: while there is an upfront cost to have your earthquake valve installed, this will save you money in the long run by reducing your earthquake insurance cost.
- The Homeowner’s Guide to Earthquake Safety, developed and adopted by the California Seismic Safety Commission.
- Seismic Gas Shut-Off Valve Requirements in Los Angeles, City of Los Angeles, Department of Building & Safety, Information Bulletin #P/PC 2008-001
- Improving Natural Gas Safety in Earthquakes, California Seismic Safety Commission, Publication #CSSC-02-03, July 2002.
- Gas Shutoff Valve Certification Program, Division of the California State Architect.
- Certification requirement: Health & Safety Code Section 19200-19204
- LADBS Requirements when Selling Property
Earthquake Valve Installation with Safe Gas Services
Safe Gas Services specializes in gas safety, earthquake valve installations, heating services, and plumbing and sewer services. We can detect gas leaks, repair and replace damaged gas lines, and ensure that your property remains safe. With our professional team, years of experience, and advanced equipment, each and every client is guaranteed to receive the very best service.